Monday, November 28, 2005

Post Office Hell (In General)

I moved recently. Not to a new house that I am buying but a "half-way house" kind of deal, basically my Dad rents out houses and I managed to blag one rent-free during the house selling and buying process.

Anyway I need to do a mail redirection because quite frankly I cant be arsed to phone loads of call centres and get the stoopid numbskulls who answer the phone to change my bloody address. Hurrah for mail redirection! for a small fee* you can get all your mail redirected to your new address. Saves loads of hassle apparently. I hate the post office. I really do.

Anyway I got the forms whilst renewing my passport which was a total farce too (see below) and I had filled in the highly unnecessarily complicated form and had got my wife to sign it and collected all the relevant ID that was needed to facilitate the mail redirection. Everything was ready I thought as I slept soundly in my bed.

The following day, as it does "work" ensued and I decided to head to the post office during lunch. I only get 36 minutes for lunch (long story) so I HAVE to be fast if I want to do anything and normally as one does, I need to eat and that involves buying some food somewhere. I had my mind set on a sub of some sort probably a turkey/ham kind of deal with salad. Speed! lets go...

I head up to the post office stinking hellhole and just as I was about to go in the door an old lady cut in front of me. Normally I am a courteous fellow and open doors for people and adhere to "ladies first" rules. So this old lady is now in front of me down the narrow corridor to the queues and my legs want to go faster but my brain is telling me that this old lady needs to FUCKING MOVE IMMEDIATELY but no, I calmly proceeded into the main post office lobby to meet an absolutely GARGANTUAN queue of people bigger than I ever seen in my whole life - ARRRGGHHH.

I really couldn't justify the wait as my brain is saying FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD so I left the place, to hell with them!! most of mail is a load of old shit anyway.

Fortunately I saw my sister in town as it was her day off so after a little moaning she agreed to queue up for me! result!

So I gave her all the crap and the required £30 and said "Cheers Gem!" and headed in to get my Sub. I sat in the park for ten minutes or so and read my book and stuffed my face and managed to get into work a few minutes earlier than usual. Nice one.

The moral of the story is don't go to post offices. But if you really have to, get your sister to go for you ;o)


*£30 - a total rip off, that.

3 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Blogger Ryaninja said...

So you have 36 minutes for lunch eh? Is that because your working day needs to be 7.4 hours long, and to acheive that you spend 8 hours in work, 36 of which make up your lunch time?

Eh? Eh?

Oh, and I like monkeys.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger AdZ said...

Yes. Bastards.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Michael Gordon said...

As most of you probably know already, I hate the post office. Nothwithstanding Peter Wolf's weak defense of the USPS (perhaps the only individual on the planet who actually believes that the postal service is doing a good job), I am going to continue my opposition to the government-run United States Postal Service monopoly.

My views are shared by average people. Whenever I walk into my Post Office, there is a long line to get in. Most people do not realize that one of the reasons for the long line is because there is a lack of alternative places to buy stamps and have mail certified, receive return receipt, and other extra services.

Today I was in a Post Office on Vermont and Franklin (the Los Feliz Post Office), and there was a lady in there who was about to go postal. The woman, who appeared to be a Vietnamese immigrant in her 40s, was visibly irritated and screamed at the idiot post office bureacrats for taking too long and stealing her money. I believe her. (If given a chance to take the side of a private citizen or the government, I will always side with the citizen). In any case, she kept screaming and the post office employee said, "Excuse me, please do not yell at me." I was thinking, I hope this happens everyday: these stupid postal service workers deserve to be abused. This needs to happen more often. And more citizens need to witness how angry our fellow citizens become due to this lousy, mismanaged governmental agency. The government does not work: it never has, and it never will. The politician who runs on privatizing the Postal Service could potentially win millions of votes. The only people who want to keep the system as it is are the postal service employees whose inflated wages and benefits far exceed the services that they provide. DOWN WITH THE POST OFFICE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home